Integrated Marketing Campaign
Agency: dick clark corporate productions
An integrated marketing campaign consisting of a series of consumer and press events across the United States.
Consumers, business and automotive press, BMW dealers
BMW asked dick clark corporate productions to develop a campaign that leveraged BMW’s sponsorship of the James Bond movie GoldenEye. They expected the car to sell well and saw the opportunity to use the launch to gain first-hand experience with a variety of non-traditional marketing tactics.
I was the creative director for the pitch team (4 rounds – it took Dick to win it), the account team and then coordinated the creative effort with a wide range of teams as well as the client.
This was one of the first integrated marketing campaigns ever developed for an automotive launch. It is important (and odd) to remember that this predated the use of the Internet as a marketing platform.
The creative challenge was to place the BMW Roadster squarely in the American landscape. Our strategy was to influence the influencers while at the same time putting the Roadster in places that prospects would see it.
Principal program elements included:
- A press “ride and drive” in Central Park tied to the GoldenEye premiere.
- A national series of radio DJ promotions yielding extensive PR coverage.
- Placement as the featured gift in the Neiman Marcus Christmas catalog that sold 100 vehicles in 48 hours and began a relationship that continues to this day.
- A music video placement with Hootie and The Blowfish.
- A film trailer for theatrical release that was the precursor for the BMW Film Series.
- A complete “image program” including both stills and film footage used in all BMWNA launch initiatives.
- An invitation for BMW’s Director of Design to speak at the Aspen Design Conference.
- A co-promotion between BMW and Apple Computer.
The entire launch was the subject of a case study in the Harvard Business Review.
The Super Reggie Award was presented to MGM and BMW by PMA (the Promotion Marketing Association).